Singaporebrides | Essentials
DIY of The Month – It’s All In The Accessories!
Think you’re a hands-on kind of bride and want to make something really special for your wedding? It doesn’t have to be something elaborate; think small, simple yet significant. It could be a personalised Save-The-Date card, or a memorable wedding favour. You don’t even have to be very good at arts and crafts to make these wonderful mementos. SingaporeBrides shows you how to Do-It-Yourself.
This month, look to customising a gift to reward your bridesmaids for helping out with the wedding planning, providing you with the support and, at times, suffering your wedding tantrums. And what better gift for your girls than a jewellery set hand-made by the bride herself?
They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. Well, the way to a woman’s heart is through jewellery. Okay, that’s a lie. But the truth is that no female will be unhappy when gifted with jewellery. Thrill your wedding party with this customised bracelet and earring set, and be thrilled yourself to know that it neither burns a hole in your pocket nor take you much time to complete it. With SingaporeBrides’ step-by-step tutorial, even the clumsiest DIY bride will be whipping up jewellery faster than they can say “I do”!
Here’s what you need:
- Handicraft pincers
- Silver chain
- Ribbon charms
- Silver ear hooks
- Small silver hoops
- Ruby heart-shaped crystals
- Heart-shaped clasps
Time taken for each: 20 minutes
Average cost for each: $11
1. With a pair of handicraft pincers, grab hold of one corner of the small silver hoop firmly. Then, using the pliers, gently pry it open. The opening has to be big enough for the crystal heart to slip through.
2. Slip the opened silver hoop into the hole on the crystal heart. Once through, using either the handicraft pincers or the pliers, close it until both ends meet. Ensure that there is no gap for the crystal heart to slip out.
3. Once done, pry open another silver hoop with the pliers. Slip the crystal heart with the silver hoop through this. Do not secure the silver hoop by closing both ends, and proceed to the next step.
4. To attach the crystal heart to the ribbon charm, slip the opened silver hoop through the opening on the charm. Once done, secure by joining both ends.
5. With the pliers, open the bottom of the ear hook. Slip the crystal heart with the silver hoops onto the ear hook.
6. Once in, secure it by closing the hook until both ends meet.
7. Repeat Steps 4-6 for the other side of the earring. When you’re done, set the pair of earrings aside.
8. For the bracelet, you’ll need approximately 15.5cm of silver chain. Adjust the length of the bracelet if required but remember to leave a bit of allowance so the bracelet can dangle down the wrist without slipping off your hands.
9. Grip the chain firmly using both the pair of pliers and handicraft pincers to open and detach the desired length of chain from the rest. Secure by closing up the opening.
10. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until you have 5 sets of crystal hearts attached to silver hoops. Instead of leaving the second silver hoop open, secure it by closing the two ends together.
11. Take one set of crystal heart and attach it to the ribbon charm, as demonstrated in Step 4.
12. Now, open another silver hoop using the pliers and hook it onto one end of the ribbon charm. Secure the silver hoop by closing the two ends together.
13. Attach the crystal hearts to the bracelet by looping the silver hoop through the individual hoops on the bracelet. Join the ends of the silver hoop together to secure it.
Each crystal heart should be placed approximately six hoops apart from the previous one. The two crystal hearts closest to the ends of the bracelet should be seven hoops away from the end.
14. Position the ribbon charm with the crystal heart in the middle of the chain, in between the two crystal hearts closest to the center.
15. Attach the clasp to the end of the chain by using a silver hoop. With the help of the pliers, open the hoop and hook onto the opening on the clasp. Secure by closing the two ends together. Repeat for the other clasp.
And voila! You’re done with a do-it-yourself gift for your lovely bridesmaids. And didn’t we tell you you’d be done in a jiffy? Keep the set sweet and simple with ribbons and crystal hearts so your girls will be able to wear it for any occasion. Or switch the delicate bracelet to a charm bracelet with quirky charms and a thicker chain to suit your wedding theme. Whichever you choose to make, rest assured that your girls would definitely like it.Dove design tray (white) $14.45 from NBC Stationery and Gifts.
Perfect for Bridesmaids gift, Pink/ Ribbon themed weddings
All content from this article, including images, cannot be reproduced without credits or written permission from SingaporeBrides.