WASHING MACHINE-which brand is good?

kiki

och,
Surprise me again! Am acutally considering the whirlpool front loading among all brands.
happy.gif

The one u bought is 5kg, isn't it? May i know the price like?

Btw, i am also about to check with u how the contractor u engaged with in renov. I want to redo my toilet n found the price quoted r quite high leh.
sad.gif

kiki

och,
Surprise me again! Am acutally considering the whirlpool front loading among all brands.
happy.gif

The one u bought is 5kg, isn't it? May i know the price like?

Btw, i am also about to check with u how the contractor u engaged with in renov. I want to redo my toilet n found the price quoted r quite high leh.
sad.gif

och

hi kiki,

my washer is 6.2kg, n it comes with a "silkcare" program. costs $748 a yr ago.

toilet renovations r not v. cheap, especially if u want the whole works, including hack n relay ceiling height wall tiles, change all accessories etc. the contactor i engaged is not the cheapest per item, but was amongst the cheapest n most reliable i found overall. hv u found other quotes that r cheaper?

kiki

och,
Can let me know the contact n i think am also looking for a reliable one not just cheapest one.

if u dont mind, please let me know how much he charges for painting, renovating bathroom n masterbedroom.

thanks! ( u can email me directly if still remember my email address.
happy.gif
)

V

vee kee

Hi all F&P users of washing machine,

for those who are using the F&P GCW09 washing machine, can share wif me any experiences? Any complaints? how much does it cost for a 7 kg washing machine?

T

trudy

hi, sorry too lazy to go thru all the posts but just wanna share this info

i've been using top load continental machine (those type with drums) previously, thot it looks cooler and also has been advised by sales person the the clothings will not be spin out of shape. never bothered to find out about the japanese/korea type.

then for the past few months, the machine has refused to spin dry. so we decided to get a new one, THEN i discovered some points

1) first and foremost, continental machines have no resale value - even karang guni don't want them coz they are too heavy ;-(

2) continental m/cs take almost 1.1/2 hour to complete the full cycle whereas the japanese/korea take the 45-60 mins

3) the low suds powder used for continental m/cs are more expensive then the normal ones

4) continental m/cs doesn't alert you when the full cycle is done - you have to check on them.

we've bought a new samsung 6.5 and so far, quite happy with it.

got it from hdb neighbour shop and save us almost $50 with free delv some more ;-)

lilian

does this samsung 6.5 comes with hot water function? thinking of trying japanese/korea type but the only disadvantage is they usually don't have hot water function.

daffy

hi vee kee!
are you referring to the smart drive model? i got mine for $650.

i just learnt from other users on this site that we should should use only powder; bcos undissolved dynamo will cause some sticky substance in the machine. i quite like my washer, clothes are out very clean, though quite wrinkled.

is F&P considered as continental too? mine does have some alert function after the cycle is completed.

V

vee kee

Hi daffy!

Yap! It is the smartdrive one! I am glad to hear that you are happy wif your machine!
happy.gif
Actually, my mind is sort of made up and will want to get the machine! hehe!

Oh so use powder oni hah? Does it need to be low suds? Or normal dynamo powder will do?

F&P is an australian brand...I oso dunno if it is considered continental.. But when I visited Best Denki, they were placed together with the continental machines.

daffy

Hi vee kee

ehh i think F&P is a new zealand brand.

i got my washer from prominent (at eminent plaza). you may want to checkout the shop. if i'm not wrong, the retail price of the washer is more than $750.

apple

Does anyone have any experience with Elba brand of washing machines? Saw one at Carrefour yesterday and it looks quite nice.

H

huppi

Any comments on SANYO, the one describe as an egg shape?..saw at Harvey Normal selling at $529

K

k

I have a question: which type of washing machines are better - top loading or side loading? Pls give me your comments! thanks!

K

k

sillee me - only read the latest postings.. I think the answers to my question is found above.
happy.gif

K

kk

k,

dun worry.. haha..sometimes one can be confused with so many postings..so which u intend to get?

K

k

Hi kk,

I just got my new place. The machine I have at home is a frontloading machine. But I just took the measurements of my new place and realised that there is no way I can fit both the front loading machine and a dryer side by side. So I may be forced to consider a top loading one (which tends to be slimmer). Also heard that the combined washing machine and dryer are not that effective. So I am not considering that option. I used to use top loading but I wasn't that fond of it because sometimes, it cuts my arms when I reach in for the clothes. But looks like I may not have a choice here. sigh.... So I try to see if there are other advantages to the toploading machine. If there are no real advantages, may consider more drastic renovation in the kitchen to create space.

any thots on this?

brownie

Hi gals,
Wat brands of washing detergent/powder have low suds? Is it really, really important to use low suds *only* for front loading washing machines?

T

turbo

Hi, just to share that mine is Turbo, the 5kg type with combined dryer. Finds the dryer function useful for big items like quilt cover and bedsheets. Been using for 2 years and so far so good.

K

k

Hi Janice,

We considered that option but unfortunately, the piping (for water to flow out) is on the side of the kitchen where the window is situated. If we stack the machines up, that would block our view... We were also wondering if you need to install a separate bracket for the dryer since the washing machine shakes so much during the spin, it may not be possible to stack the 2 machines directly without the installation.

angelia

hi k,
Have you consider rack mounting the dryer on the wall? I am using a top load f&p washer. And I rack mount my f&p dryer on the wall, on top of my washer. I have been using them for over a year without problems.

Even you stack the dryer and washer on top of each other (washer front load), you will need a bracket that is fitted on top of the washer. And, usually they recommend you to buy the washer and dryer of the same brand, so that they can stack properly.

catz

Hi k,

I've stacked my washer and dryer but I didn't have any wall-mounting. The stacking kit came from Mayer Mktg... maybe 'cos I bought the same brand? So far, no problems with the vibrations. My dryer is stacked on top of the washer so maybe the weight of the dryer holds it down?
happy.gif

K

k

Hi Angelia and Catz,

thanks for the suggestions! I must go look at the kitchen again to consider the possibilities.
happy.gif

forgetmenot

Hi everyone,

After reading what u guys hve posted,i'm vv confused liao.......cos i dunno to get a front load or top load washing machine leh,how?any recommendation?

Thanks.

Cheers
happy.gif

W

washer

For those using front load washing machine. I'd like to do a comparison with your washing machine wash cycle.
How long does it take to wash
White cotton?
Coloured cotton?
Delicates?
For my machine, it takes about 2 hours for the white cotton, i thought that was a real long cycle.

joanne

hi angelia
may i know how much did u buy the f&p washer??? how many kg?

need the info
thanks

regd
joanne

catz

hi washer,
white cotton would be hot wash? i think 2 hours sounds about right..
delicates about half an hour for mine.. i'm using ariston AL89.

forgetmenot, depends on your criteria. if you like using hot wash for your bedsheets, then you'll have to get a front loader. also, if you wash your delicates and woollens, only a front-loader has delicate/wool cycle.

forgetmenot

hi catz,

initially i wanted to get frontload cos i heard tt they will not torn clothes easily n they can wash delicates..

do u put yr clothes in laundry bags 1st be4 u put them in the washing machine?

hows AL89?i'm interested to get AL68.do u use special powder or detergent to wash clothes?how long does it takes for normal wash?is the electricity bill really quite high?

paisay leh,ask u so many questions.....:p

cheers
happy.gif

angelia

hi Joanne,
I bought my washer last year april, so it may have changed or maybe there is a much newer model.

The dryer AD56 = 465 dollars + (50 dollars for it to be wall mounted.)
Washer GWC-09 (7 kg) = 665 dollars

catz

hi forgetmenot,

yeah, frontload is better in my opinion. i don't even put my delicates into any laundry bags 'cos i always forget..hehe... so far so good unless they get snagged on velcro or hooks.
happy.gif
very very happy with my ariston. my mom's been using hers for about 4 years too.. she's also very happy.

as for front loading machine, you have to use low-suds detergent like persil powder or liquid. if you use high suds like dynamo or fab.. it's BYEBYE washer.
happy.gif
as for electricity, i don't think it consumes any more or less than a top loader. water-wise, it is definitely more savings.. can't remember the stats but it think it was something like 50l of water per wash compared to 70+l for toploader.

mine has an ultra quick wash at 30 minutes if you put it on cycle 7 at 40degrees. if you want a little more thorough (but cold wash)... about 50 minutes.

dopey

Hi all front load washing machine users,

Do you have problems finding the low sud detergent? I prefer to use the liquid detergent under Dynamo but it seems that I can't find them in NTUC. The few places that I can find is in Cold Storage & Carrefour. Sign!!

Anybody uses "Spin" low sud before? Is it good?

catz

hey dopey,

yes, it's very difficult to find the dynamo low suds at NTUC.. for that matter, it's hard to find anything half decent at NTUC so i've given up.. only buy bread and milk from NTUC. i actually found the low suds at my neighbourhood shop at loyang pt - shing shiong (dunno how to spell).. if you've got a shing shiong in your neighbourhood.. can go and check out.

but actually i happened to be at NTUC yesterday with my friend and she managed to get persil low suds liquid detergent which is what i'm using. personally, i prefer liquid 'cos it distributes better and leaves your clothes softer.. not as harsh as powder.

forgetmenot

Hi Catz,

Thanks alot for the info.my hubby actually dun really like front load washing machine cos he afraid tt it will tedious for mi when i'm pregnant next time cos hve to always bend down..

y hve to use low sud detergent ah?then will it be quite ma fan to look for it in the supermkt?do you spend alot on detergent?

quite like kao's essence,pink bottle n it smells vv gd..hmm.dunno if tt is low suds one or not....hehe
happy.gif

dopey

Hi Catz,
I have used Persil's powder one but dun really like the smell lor. If desparate then will buy persil.
happy.gif
But I noticed that powder is cheaper than liquid one. The no of washes is double for the powder one.

I noticed that for low sud, it is easier to buy the powder rather than the liquid. sign! shd have thot of that before committing to a front load machine. Sometimes regret lor... shd have get the top load machine. sign!

Hi forgetmenot,
For front load machine, the mechanism is diff from top load. It pumps the water out so you need to use the low sud detergent. For the top load machine, the mechanism is diff so no need to use low sud.

M

me

I've been using Ariston dryer and Indesit washer from Mayer Mktg. Both are front loading and I'm using persil too. Tried both the powder and liquid form, and the liquid one is of course more 'manageable'. If you're getting the powder form, you may want to pour some out into a container first.

I have a question about washing at high temperature - why do you need to wash at high temp say 40 degree or more ? will that shrink the cloths ? How to prevent dryer from shrinking the clothes ?

dopey

Hi me,

I suppose that washing at 40 degree will kill the germs?
Not too sure leh. But usually I will wash at 30 degree cos I thot if wash at higher temp, it will consume more electricity.

catz

washing at 40 degrees will not kill germs.. you need to wash at at least 60 degrees. for bedlinen, if you're afraid of dust mites, then i recommend hot wash. otherwise, for normal clothes, please don't use hot wash unless your hubby has gone for reservist and hasn't bathed for 10 days..hehe...

dopey, of course powder is cheaper but for me, i'm very particular about the softness of my clothes. doesn't make much difference to me leh.

forgetmenot: as for not bending down, well, for top load you would have to bend and reach into the drum right? higher chance of cutting yourself on the steel drum.. so i suppose both have pros and cons.
happy.gif
maybe you can get one of those little stools and sit while loading/unloading the machine? hehe.. and i agree that essence smells lovely but i think it's high suds.
happy.gif
for my delicates, i find that persil liquid is still ok.

i think if you only use the hot wash occasionally, it doesn't make much difference to your electricity bill. maybe 10 cents?

sweetiee

hi forgetmenot,

You can actually sit on a stool and put the laundry into the front load washer if you're expecting next time... That should be okie and won't strain your back. Likewise when you remove the laundry.
happy.gif

passer

when buying a washer, important thing is look for the RPM spin speed. the best is to get one with variable spin speed, so you can adjust it according to type of material. With a spin speed of 1200 RPM, my clothes take very fast to dry after I hang them out. Even when put in dryer, also save time and energy.

joanne

hi
anyone tried putting a queen size comforter inside a 7kg f&p and wash????? cos i am still considering about whether to buy the 7kg one or the 8kg....

anyone had the latest price for f&p washing machine and drier??? the intuitive one and the GWC11(7kg) or GWM11(8kg)

thanks

regd
joanne

snowflake

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on whether a topload washing machine is better or a front load....heard frm some friends that topload is better whereas others say front load is better.....

And is it true that for front load we cannot just use the spin dry function that is if i handwashsome of my clothes, does that mean that if i get a front load, I can't put in the handwsh clothes just to spin dry as compared to a top load ?

and also which brand is good....thanks in advance !!!!!

forgetmenot

Hi everyone......

think f&p got new model leh,saw it at best at IMM on sat...
initially i tot of getting f&p one cos my fren told mi,after the spin dry,the clothes really quite dry...but hubby told mi tt the buttons options of the washing machine will spoil easily..isit true ah?

is the clothes still vv damp after spin dry for front load washing machine?

Thanks.
happy.gif

twosix

forgetmenot, for my indesit front door washer, the clothes definitely feel damp but also defintely no water dripping from it after spin dry.

whitefloral

Hi

I am considering top load Samsung 6.5kg or Sanyo 6kg washer. Any comments on the 2 washers? Seems like quite a few gals have bought Samsung 6.5kg. How is the performance?