Facial at "Modern Beauty"

Discussion in 'Beauty, Health and Fitness' started by unsure, May 16, 2001.

1. unsure

unsure New Member

Hi gals,

anyone tried facial at Modern Beauty? the one which Ada Choi, Hong Kong actress is the spokesman. they are situated at Pidemco Centre (beside OCBC Building at Raffles Place). would appreciate any comments.

2. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

Hi Unsure,

I've been having facial there for about 6 months already. So far so good. Actually, now is a good time to try them out as they are having a promotion to celebrate the opening of its 20th branch in Hong Kong.

They have this "fixed time package", meaning that you can only go there for facial after 7.15pm on weekdays and on Sun (not sure on timing). And the package costs only $300 for 10 sessions! I got a similar package from them the previous time for their 19th branch opening. But my package doesn't include Sun visits [​IMG]

The usual session lasts for about 1.5 hour which includes cleansing, peeling, scrubing, steaming and extraction, mask, eye mask, hand and shoulder masssage, and finally toning and moisturising. I feel that it's really value for $$$.

If you wanna try them out, I have this voucher which you only need to pay $20/- (must be 1st timers there). It includes skin doctor peeling facial, eye paraffin and hand paraffin. And they are also giving away sample products of their new green tea range. Email me your address and I can post it out to you [​IMG]

3. qt

qt Guest

Hi Bride Tobe

I'm wondering whether the session includes trimming of the eyebrows. And is the extraction painful?

4. unsure

unsure New Member

hi bride_tobe,

i'm really keen to try them out, seems like their package is really reasonable. i've already emailed my home address to you. thanks very much!

5. zin

zin New Member

Hi all,

I've also got some vouchers with me. If you want to try them out at a price of $20, you can email me your home address and I can send it to you.

Hi QT,
    Yes, they would usually include trimming of eyebrows in the session.

6. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

Hi Unsure, will send you the voucher. Have fun there [​IMG]

Hi QT, yeah the facial includes trimming of eyebrows. I don't find the extraction painful so far. They'll steam our face first, followed by extraction. And my face doesn't go blotchy. Let me know if you want the voucher to try them out cos' I have a few of them.

7. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Hi Zin

Me and my friend are interested as well, can I get 1 or 2 voucher from either one of you. How can I email my address to you guys.

8. qt

qt Guest

Hi Bride to Be

I've emailed my address to you. Thanks in advance!

QT

9. zin

zin New Member

Hi Peanut,

Sure, I can give you 2 vouchers. You can click on my name and you will be able to send me an email telling me your address.

10. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

Hi QT, will send you the voucher, you should receive it early next week.

yeap peanuts, just click on our names. enjoy your facials [​IMG]

bride_tobe@hotmail.com

11. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

Hi gals,

forgot to add - bear in mind that like all other beauty salons, they'll cross-sell their products and other packages. they also have gym and spa facilities.

if u do not wish to commit, let them know. so far, they are quite ok whenever i reject them. in my opinion, i feel that their "fixed time" package is really worth it - facial session lasting 1.5 hours at $30/- each!

12. juan

juan New Member

Hi Bride to Be,

What's skin peeling, hands & eye paraffin? I got a voucher from them oso but am not sure if I shld try.

;> Juan.

13. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

hi juan, frankly speaking i've not tried skin peeling and hand paraffin. i've tried eye paraffin though. i think it's just another term for their facial. they got a range of facials like "hot and cold treatment", "skin master", "face complex" etc. it's just the use of different methods and equipment. but u'll still go throught the usual cleansing, peeling, scrubbing, extraction, eyebrow trimming, mask, toning, moisturising, hand and shoulder massage. it'll last for about 1.5 hours.

probably u can give them a call, find out more about the session. but i guess they'll ask u to make an appointment and go down (like all other salons). don't worry, think u should go down and see-see look-look. they're quite huge. try them out, if u like it then can consider their package. like i mentioned, i think their "fixed time" package is really value for money.

14. jong

jong New Member

how was the facial there good ? i am very interested to try but scare after the facial dunno will hve problems ??

thanks
    jong

15. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Hi Zin,

emailed you the other day, hope you receive. And thanks alot. will feedback to you gals how the facial like. Also, can i check usually how long you need to make your booking, like a month?

16. qt

qt Guest

Hi Bride_tobe

Thanks for your voucher. I've received it!

17. zin

zin New Member

Hi Peanuts,
    Yes, I've got your email. I've sent 2 vouchers to you and you should receive it either today or tomorrow. Do keep a lookout.
    They will open up the booking schedule 2 weeks in advance and you can book with them a month ahead as well. Hope you will enjoy the facial!

18. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

Hi QT, no problems.

Hi peanuts, u don't usually need to book like one month in advance. sometimes, i book on that very afternoon for the evening's facial. they really have a lot of rooms but fridays tend to be more crowded.

hi jong, my experience with them for the past half year is ok. no problems or allergic reactions. i was also worried initially on my 1st visit but so far so good. probably you would like to try them out with a friend. let me know if you need the voucher (i still have some). don't worry... [​IMG]

19. juan

juan New Member

Hi bride to be,

Thanks for your info. Can you e-mail me a voucher so that I can go with my friend?

Thanks again.

My e-mail is : rabitbaby@yahoo.com

Juan.

20. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

hi juan,

no problems. has already email you - need your address so that i can post the voucher to u.

21. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Hi Zin and bride tobe

Thanks a lot for the voucher and advise. In fact I have very sensitive skin and I'm also quite reluctant to try out because facials are not cheap especially places like clarins or lancom, they charge like almost a hundred. I once spend like a few hundreds to cure my skin peeling problem due to misuse of products, so kind of scared to use new products. Hope this one works ok for me then I can purchase the $300 for 10x offer. Really good bargain.

22. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

hi peanuts,

as i do not have sensitive skin, the facials are ok for me. i've even tried out the various types of facials they have. maybe u can let the consultant know that u have sensitive skin. she'll be able to advise if the treatment is suitable for u.

23. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Hi to all ladies with modern beauty

I've got 2 voucher from Zin and went down today to have a try. I ended up signing for 2 package for 10 treatment each and cost me $1145! Well, of course it doesn't cost that much if you divide the $1145 by 20, it'll probably cost less than $60 a treatment. But they really hard sell and I feel so heart pain to forge out $1000 over at one time especially when my house and wedding is in preparation and so much things to pay. Just my share of my experience there. The facial is ok lah. I have sensitive skin, but so far no side effect (touch wood). So anyone, interested can get from me the voucher too. First timer try for $20 only. Value for money to do the first try, but really heart pain to pay all at one short.

24. candy

candy New Member

Hi Peanuts,

Oh dear! I know how you feel when you have to part such a huge sum of $. All the best to the facials you gonna have there. Hope its worth it & will make you a radiant & beautiful bride. [​IMG]

Why didn't you sign up just 1 package instead?

If I were you, I will insist not signing with them. I have been "pressured" many times to sign up some packages (other things @ other places). So I have had enough! [​IMG] So now I am not "piaseh" to say NO to them. Don't want to regret later.

25. zin

zin New Member

Oh dear Peanuts, I hope I didn't get you into this. They can be quite tough to deal with sometimes but for me, I always say "no" to them, so they also can't do anything to me.
    I can understand how you feel because I always feel this way when I got persuaded. You didn't sign up for the off-peak package? Think it costs cheaper.

26. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Hi Zin

Don't worry lah. I was feeling very guilty to spend this big amount on myself when I could have use it for my wedding or the house. Furthermore, my mom scolded for being so easily persuaded, so I felt even more upset.

But as I've said, it is not that expensive after all to divide it into 20 treatments. The first package was the offer for new members which I paid $660 for 10 (any) treatments. Then they said that since I'm their members now, they will allow me to take up their promotion for the opening of the 20th branch in Hong Kong. They showed me the $300 and $450 package. The $300 is for any treatment like the $660 one. Wherelse, the $450 one is what they call the super VIP one (only during off-peak), where for facial they will use ampules or vitamins for treatment, and if you do a body massage, they will use special oils for treatment. They also mention to me that if I choose to do a slimming treatment with the $660 package, I can only do one part of my body, like arms, or thighs, or tummy, etc. If I want to do a full body slimming, I have to use up 8 treatments. But if I use the super VIP package, I can do a whole body slimming with 1 treatment.

I thought, it is quite worthwhile since my wedding is in dec and I'll probably need to do some body treatment or massage, and ampulse with facial, kind of thing.

Also, they wouldn't allow me to take up the promotion for the launch of the new branch unless I'm already a member, so they make me sign the new member package and then the promotion package. That's why I ended up with such a big amount.

Anyway, I've talk to my friend (because I told her I needed her console), and she said that in fact this is some money that we girls will not save and eventually we will still spend it whether it is a one time payment or everytime payment. So, it is quite a heart pain but for the next 1 1/2 year, I don't have to come up any money for facial already. I will always remind myself to say "no" the next time they try to persuade me.

Thanks for all your concern.

27. zin

zin New Member

Glad to hear that you are okay. Don't feel too upset and guilty about it. Actually your friend is right, we ladies would do all sorts of things to make ourselves look beautiful on our big day!

28. qt

qt Guest

Hi

Just wondering, whether at Modern Beauty, you can pay your facial packages in stages or not? In some saloons, they do allow you to pay in installments.

I've received a voucher from Bride-tobe. However, I have not gone down to try due to my work schedule.

29. zin

zin New Member

Hi QT,
    I'd requested for payment in instalments but they allowed me to pay in 2 instalments only. You can try to negotiate with them on the payment dates.

30. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

Hi QT,

i'm not sure about instalment payment plan coz' i took the cheapest package (i'm very cheapskate lah... hehe...). but i guess it shouldn't be much of a problem to negotiate with them. afterall, they want the business, right?

just for your reference, i took up the package for 10 sessions at $350/- (forgot the name, it's "skin master" or something like that). then couple of months later, they were celebrating the opening of a branch in Hong Kong, which i sign up for another package. all in all, what i paid for is $600/- for 20 sessions, which i feel is really value for $$$. but i can only go there during off-peak hours which is ok for me.

remember - like most beauty salons, they try to sell their services in one way or another. be firm to them if you're not willing to commit. so far, i've turned them down on the more expensive packages and they're quite ok with it. good luck! [​IMG]

31. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Yup QT,

They also told me that I can do in 2 payment, one now and the other one next month, which I thought it makes no difference, so I paid all at one go.

32. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

forgot to add, i was given free eye mask (not eye paraffin) for all the sessions and 6 free soft masks. make sure u're not short-changed! [​IMG]

33. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Hi bride tobe

Wow, you really got a good deal! How come I have to pay $660 for 10 session? How about you Zin? Have I been cheated by them? [​IMG]

34. peanuts

peanuts New Member

What?! They did give me any eye mask or soft mask for the $660 package! Goodness, now I wonder if I should go down and check with them.

Can anyone advise me on that.

35. peanuts

peanuts New Member

sorry, I mean they DIDN'T give me the eye mask or soft mask at all. They only gave me 1 soft mask and 1 face complex.

36. zin

zin New Member

Hi Peanut, for me, I think they did give me eye mask for all my facials.. but not sure if it's a standard they will apply for all facials. You may want to check with them. I did not sign up for the off-peak hour package, as such, I think what I have is different from yours.

37. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

hi peanuts,

relax... relax... my 1st package at $350/- is for "skin master treatments" only. then with my 2nd top-up, it entitles me to have any-treatment facials. but my package doesn't come with ampoules or vitamins. and my off-peak period doesn't include sundays.

sorry if i've confused you in any way. i think your package is reasonable considering the treatments with ampoules. i gotta top-up dunno how much for that. and with your VIP package, there're some priviledges you're entitled to free-of-charge like use of gym or spa if i'm not wrong.

don't worry lah... it's natural to feel the pinch coz' you're paying all the 20 sessions at one go but that can last u at least 1.5 years. though mine is a cheapoh package, i felt the pinch too when i paid for it at one go...

38. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Hi Zin and bride tobe

Sorry for being so "kang cheong". Well, I'm preparing for my house and wedding which already cost a lot and now for my vain-ness, I spend another thousand over dollars. So I want to make sure that I get back what I deserve. hee.hee... I'm a bit "kiasu" here lah.

Hey, they didn't tell me that I could use the gym and spa. Is it for the VIPs only? My first package was just the cheapest of the lot that they have shown me. Only the ssecond package they stated that is the super VIP package. Not sure does that make mean I can use the gym and spa?

Anyway, thanks so much for your reply, or else my blood pressure would definitely go up again [​IMG].

39. zin

zin New Member

Peanuts, no need to apologise lah... so serious... can understand how you feel, cause I'm also like that. It's good for you to voice out, at least it won't bog you for the rest of your life... hee...

40. peanuts

peanuts New Member

I'm so touched, Zin........

Thanks for your understanding. I'm quite a "straight" person. I always say things out without scanning through my brain. But most of the time with no harm and no hidden meanings. It always takes a true friend to undertstand my character. New friends are difficult, because they cannot take it, so I'm quite quiet when I meet up with people until I got to know them better and know where's their limit, then I would be more daring to talk to them. Very bad character huh? :p

41. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

hi peanuts,

don't worry lah.... i think you have some privileges over "normal" members like me. can always call them to find out if you can use the facilities for free. even if you have to pay, it'll be cheaper than the charge to "normal" members.

can also try their hair salon or manicure. i think they have some really good offers for 1st timers (but members only). the other day, i tried the hair treatment/steaming (can't remember the actual term for it), and i only need to pay something like $10/- for washing and blowing. if i go other salons i gotta pay something like $50+ at least? so, make full use of your membership! [​IMG]

42. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Wow, that's really a good deal. Since I'm having my photo shoot in August, maybe I shall go and have my medicure and pedicure done using the first-timer privilege. But this time round, I'll make sure that I'll be firm on saying "no" if i'm not sure. [​IMG]

Hey thanks to you and zin. both of you has been very helpful and consoling. So embarass that I got so work up earlier ;p

43. trihok

trihok New Member

Hi Gals,

very interested in Modern Beauty after reading all the above mentioned.

did anyone still have the $20 voucher?? will like to try it.

BTW, can i have the full address??

44. zin

zin New Member

I still have a copy of the voucher. If you want, I can mail it to you.

45. zin

zin New Member

Hi trihok, I still have a voucher with me. If you want, I can mail it to you. You can email me your address. Modern Beauty is located at Pidemco Centre, South Bridge Road #02-01/04.

46. bride_tobe

bride_tobe Guest

hi peanuts, not sure how much is the manicure/pedicure for 1st timers. can call them to check.

hi trihok, it's beside OCBC building at raffles place. walking distance from mrt staion

47. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Hi all

Me too now have quite a few vouchers. Anyone interested, can email me your address. [​IMG]

48. trihok

trihok New Member

Thanks gals.

49. katie

katie New Member

hi peaunts,

I am quite keen to try the facial. Can I have 1 voucher from you? My email add is katiesam@hotmail.com

Thanks

50. peanuts

peanuts New Member

Hi Katie

I've sent you an email. Please reply with your address, so that I can send you the voucher. [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy your trial facial. Value for money. [​IMG]