Anyone do laminate flooring?

pongpong32

hi people..
last week the hdb people came down to do crement screed.. so we thought we will be nice to them so i brought some drinks up for them and u know wat.. think we are being too nice liao.. they even do up the storeroom for us.. we had only request to do the 3 bedrooms. now have to ask them to come down again to hack away.. aiyo.. waste my time men..

itsuki

hi jannie,

thx for your help anyway... for me, cost is one consideration and another is we like the "seamless" look.. hope it will be ok..

seemed like alot of ppl hv this "popping up" problem... wonder whether it will resurface after repair... headache lah...

itsuki

Congrats Bee Kah!!!
happy.gif

itsuki

Hi Ms Pi,

Huh? Why do you need to hack away? Thot they hv helped you save money to screed the storeroom??? Unless u hv planned to lay tiles in the storeroom...

pongpong32

hi Ituski,
yah.. actually my storeroom is using tiles.. the laminate is only for the 3 bedrooms.. dont know whether will it be odd if the storeroom floor is higger than the outside cause the hdb person havent get back to me and i am starting my renovation soon..

itsuki

Hi Ms Pi,

Can't say cos i din see it.. but i dun thik the diff will be much... anyway, most of the time, the store rm door will be closed so guess it shld not be too obvious to the naked eye... good luck!!

meijia

Hi Itsuki,

Thanks. My id say supreme will do the flooring for me today. But no time to go down to check tonight. Will have to do it tomorrow.

Will update if problem has been resolved.

celtricia

Hi ppl...

Juz like to find out.. How do u ppl go abt asking HDB to do cement screening for ur hse? Any idea hw much they charge?

afcai

Hi celtricia,

for what l know, maybe u can call the HDB customer hotline service and they might direct you to other dept.

There is no charges to do cement screening/laying by HDB.

nyny

hi gals
just to update you gals.
my floor was done!! we told them that we wanted it to be done in one day. then they sent down 3 persons to lay floor for 3 rooms.

so far, i find it quite alright. not much hollow sound.
happy.gif

itsuki

hi nyny...

thatz great news... do rem to ask your contractor to keep the windows closed at end of the day so that there won't be chance of rain seepage overnight..
happy.gif

jannie

Hi All

Just an advice to anyone out there using laminates.. try not to change the stripes if it can help by polishing or varnishing etc. I was there when they changed part of my flooring and my heart nearly popped out. They had to "hack" the stripes out and pieces of the wood were flying everywhere. So I have like little faint marks on my carpentry where the wood pieces hit. Also, the guy had to yank the skirting out which tore out part of my lovely plastered wall!! He did try to plaster it back later on, but given the fact that he is not the professional for it, it was a very shabby job done.

The guy also explained to me that changed laminates will not last as long as the original laying and I can see why - they have to cut the sides of the laminates so that they can fit with the rest, so the fitting is not so perfect (for the click system). And if strip affected is in the middle of no where, they had to cut the strip out and change it to the glue type, which the difference might be obvious to the eye.

And I need advice from pple out there who had taken their flat back form their contractors. Usually, owners will "wash" their tiles after renovation. But we cannot wash laminate flooring. I have tried to vacumm, sweep and mop a few times but just cannot get all the dust and powder off. Can anyone teach me how to effectively get rid of all the dust?

zzgila

Hi Jannie,

For laminate flooring its simple...what u need to do is just use a piece of cloth and water. U just need to wipe it with it. And quickly get a dry cloth and dry the laminate flooring. U have to do this abt 2 times before the dust disappears. It works for me. Normally after that I will use Sofix solution to go over it. It makes the laminate flooring clean and smell nice.

chatterbox

Hi Azizah,

Where can I still get Sofix (for laminate). But seem to find them now?

Yeah!, luv Sofix too, nice smell and also leave a smooth feeling on the laminiate as the solution has some kind of oil in it

jannie

Hi Azizah

So u have to do that everytime you clean the floor? Mine is a 5-room flat with the whole place laminated... think it will be quite a challenge for me to finish doing this .....but I guess I will have to do it if it really works!! I consulted a fren and she said that she had to live with it for a few months (she mops weekly)before the dust disappears entirely...

You will have to dilute Sofix with water, correct? Then do you still have to wipe the Sofix off from the floor with dry cloth?

chatterbox

Hi jannie,

I'm also using sofix. Yes dilute it with water.
Actually I dun wipe off with dry cloth. Coz if you use those magic mop, it's very dry unlike those cloth mop. So normally I dun wipe it off.

ziggy

Hi all,

Just had my bedroom laminated yesterday. Some questions; Will the contractors do anything to clean up the floor or sort of polish it? Or I have to get the Sofix liquid to do it myself?

Anything I have to check for? Thanks.

jannie

hey chatterbox

what do u mean by magic mop? i bought those sponge mop from DIY store cos it is supposed to be quite dry (but absolutely hated it cos it needs alot more effort to mop)...is that the magic mop u are talking abt?

hey ziggy

when the laminate guy was at my place, i saw how he checked - just run your dry hands along the edges of all the planks and feel for any popping up at the edges. but they are usually ok for the first few months. problems may arise after tat due to contraction and expansion of the planks. pls remember to always keep your windows closed if you are not around cos water that splashes in from the window will cause the edges to pop out.

my contractor just swept the floor for me before handing over.

ziggy

Thanks Jannie,

I've actually run my hands along the skirting and pressed the corner areas. Can hear and feel the planks popping into place.

Guess will have to do the cleaning up myself then... Thanks.

chatterbox

jannie - my contractor din clean or polish for me... actually not very dirty leh.... wipe a few times can liao..... yup those mop with a gadget at the side to squeeze out the water from the sponge.... I find it very good, can clean off dust too. stime my mum use that to sweep the floor.

tigerjes

Hi Chatterbox
Where can I buy the kind of mop that you have mentioned above? Can it uses for parquet flooring? Where to buy the Sofix liquid? is it suitable for parquet.

chatterbox

Hi Jes,

oh u can get it from neighbourhood shop.... thk those r the "choeng" type but ok already coz I'm using that type too....
Now I can't find sofix anymore... Cold Storage used to carry them... Sofix got 1 specially for parquet... The 1 I'm using is specially for laminate lor.... Do let me know if u manage to get Sofix

jannie

oh dear.. i just went to buy sofix for parquet during lunch time, thinking that it is the same... i did not know that there is a different type for laminate flooring...

i m going to try it out anyway... if not, it would have been wasted...

jannie

Hi Chatterbox

I got it from Cold Storage at China Sq Central. Lots of bottles there....used it over the weekend. It is either the Sofix that is working or the cloth method that is working. The dust issue is better now, though not as good as I have hoped it to be. And I did not notice any shine from using Sofix leh... Maybe one more wiping will do it good. I find that I did not have to wipe the wet area with another piece of dry cloth afterall, cos using a cloth to clean the floor is much drier than even using the sponge mop. Just that you will need a good and healthy back for this kind of wiping.. dun think I can keep up with it for too long....

ziggy

Chatterbox,

You can find Sofix in NTUC too. Saw some in Toa Payoh's & even Jurong East NTUC.

For laminate flooring, the cap is blue color, Sofix Parquet comes with a green cap. Don't get the wrong bottle
happy.gif

chijmes

Hi all,

me in dilemma whether should go for whole house laminated except kitchen and bathroom. Any advice ? Thanks !

mist

hi chijmes,

try not to hv whole hse laminated flooring, cos after a period of time, the flooring will hv creaking sound. this happens especially of huge floor area, like living room.

i only use laminated flooring for bedrooms, so is still quite ok. My MIL's use laminate flooring for whole hse and sometimes walk got creaking sound.

poohcsl

Hi Mist,

do you have any probs with your laminated flooring? heard that laminate flooring can't last and will pop up after a while... that's y we are considering using homogenous tiles for the whole house... but they dont match with my platform bed.. sigh...

the contractor also ask if i wan parquet or laminate for my platform bed which is directly under the window.. need to cut costs.. but worry abt maintenance oso... really not easy to renovate a house seah!!

afcai

Not only laminated flooring got creaking sound but there will be grap in between the skirting and ants will crawl in as well as water will slip in.

jorom

Go for Power Dekor laminate flooring. Their material is good and oso got latest tech- anti bateria.

peonyboo

My friend was "hard-sell" by a well known laminated flooring co. to do up the entire flat (including kitchen). 1 year has passed and she has faced numerous headaches. And the "lifetime guarantee" promised by the co. has become rubbish. Try not to use laminated flooring.

afcai

Hi PeonyBoo,

hmm seems like the company will give all kind of excuses for the laminated flooring problems.

luckily , I did not did any laminated flooring.

enternity

Hihi

My friend who has her whole house done up in laminate flooring assured me that with some care, laminated flooring is definitely a thumb-up compared to parquet. eg. scratch resistant and water resistant..

Cheers

catyeo88

I had my 3 bedrooms done up with laminate flooring. I used the brand Ronador (A German brand), Red Alder Brown with block design. The finishing is superb and looks like parquet. From what i learn, parquet flooring is not as resilient as laminate flooring, and installation for parquet takes about 1 week. My 3 bedrooms only done up in 2 days. No hacking of existing flooring compared to parquet. The flooring was done by the distributor themselve. I paid around $2K, considering a good price for such quality. The floorboard just click to each other and you could hardly notice the gap. I ever came across some cheaper laminate flooring with noticable gap and uneven pattern.

asiaguy

Yes, those interested can contact 93382232, they are the direct distributor for Ronador German flooring. One-stop, cheap and fast responsible service. Good workmanship and friendly service.

unowan

Hi All...

Anyone use SUPREME brand for the laminate floorings? Comments, reviews on the brand stated....??

durianlover

hi RafWan11,
yes my flat uses Supreme laminate flooring. i've no complaints so far. But i guess it's a bit early to tell! shd ask those who've had Supreme laminate flooring for at least 5 years...

unowan

Thanks, durianlover..
I was told that SUPREME is one of the good reliable brand for laminate flooring. Not sure myself, had to ask all those using one...So how do we have to take care/maintain of this flooring? Any special detergent or something..?

enternity

Hi

I have juz completed laying my lamainate. Previously, i was rather worried abt the quality as it is not that well known in the mkt compared to brands like Supreme, prego. After much assurance and recommendation from my designer, i am glad that i took his advice. My laminate flooring is from "Wiparquet". I definitely like the feel compared to Supreme. I personally feel that it doesn't have the hollow feel as much as Supreme. In fact, i thought it feel quite "solid" and i am very satisfied!

Anyone interested to know more and get the contact, please let me know.

I juz wan to share my good experience.. Good thing are meant to be shared!
happy.gif

Cheers